Finally. I’m getting around to this.
So, here is a picture of the finished wig. (Not styled, but just hair added)
Disclaimer: I am not claiming that this is the best way to do this, or that this tutorial will cover all questions asked. If you have any other questions after this, feel free to message me.
First of all, let’s start out with materials that are in the wig that was shown and that you’ll need.
- One of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sexy-black-long-curly-womens-full-hair-wig-/220827290044?pt=AU_Women_Accessories&hash=item336a5509bc#ht_2676wt_952
- Two of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stylish-Extra-long-Straight-black-Women-wig-/320759057099?#ht_2313wt_952
- One of these. http://kingdom-arts.org/LongPonyClip.html
- Two of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-Black-long-curly-clip-hair-ponytail-/190570076325?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item2c5edc98a5#ht_3187wt_952
- (Honestly past the base wig, you can use any long black wig/ pony tail / weft / hair clip that you can find but this is just what I used.
- Hot Glue. (Any generic hot glue works. I have a mini hot glue gun.)
- Time and Patience.
LET’S GET STARTED.
This applies for any wig really. KNOW THE CHARACTER YOU’RE DOING THE WIG FOR. Don’t go blindly into things assuming you’ll remember little details. It won’t end well. It helps to make calculations of wigs like these based on your height, and the length of the hair. (You can always wing it too. That works.)
This wig consists of ripping appart wigs, and gluing the seperated pieces together and onto the base wig.
Preparing the Base Wig:
Make sure you always have at least 1 Wig that you will NOT TEAR UP. This will be the base wig, and will be what goes on your head.
My base wig was one of these. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stylish-Extra-long-Straight-black-Women-wig-/320759057099?#ht_2313wt_952)
You will find this small tab on the bottom of the inside of your wig. (A tab near the base of your neck where the wig ends. THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL BE ATTACHING/GLUING THE TRAIN OF HAIR. PICTURE BELOW.
Preparing the extentions:
So, to start out I took another one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stylish-Extra-long-Straight-black-Women-wig-/320759057099?#ht_2313wt_952) and took it apart.
I cut along the red dotted line shown here. (This is not the wig, just an example of the inside.) Even if you are careful, because you are cutting into a wig, hair will fall out, fiber will be lost. Don’t worry. You’ll have plenty of hair left.
I ended up with 3 parts.
- The middle section.
- The two smaller side pieces. (Green)
Now, if you look at this, the side pieces are color coded green. This green will be used as extra’s. I used the smaller side pieces to add to the bangs and to the ear spots because they were too short to be added for length, the add volume to the wig, and it’s best not to waste hair. It’s helpful to have these green pieces just incase.
Now to the main event.
With that larger middle section, you will be using this to create the effect of length on your wig. See below. It is important to notice, the part marked pink will ALWAYS BE the hairline/top of the wig. The park marked blue will ALWAYS be the bottom tab/nape of the wig.
*Green parts on the wig are usually used as buffers in areas on the base wig that need more volume.
Now, this is where you decide how many pieces of wigs/ ponytails / clips you want in your wig. The more, the longer it will be.
In order to attach them all together you will be using the hot glue.
Glue the first extension/ Large middle section’s pink piece to the red section on the BASE WIG outlined above. After your FIRST extension is attached to the BASE WIG, then start the train of gluing. Should look something like this.
Always pink to blue pieces. All the pieces should flow downward. Make sure to only glue the fiber/structural parts to eachother. Avoid gluing hair to hair.
Keep adding section by section until your wig is long enough. (I have around 4-5 sections, including my base wig.)
THERE YOU SHOULD BE DONE.
Here are some parting tips.
- More hair is not always better. It can often become tangled, ratty or just plain tedious to deal with. Same goes for glue. More glue is not always better.
- Mistakes are a part of any learning process. Be prepared to make them. It happens. Learn from them.
- When you are working with the hot glue, before you even THINK about gluing on another piece, make sure the glue dries.
- Wig de-tangler. BE FAMILIAR WITH IT. Even if you can’t find a specific detangler made for wigs, I’ve found that taking a mix of water and a small amount of conditioner and spraying it on the wig works wonders.
- BE CAREFUL. Glue is hot, wig is heavy, hair will eat you.
- Comb the hair before gluing the piece.
- This wig will be heavy. If you get headaches easily or have a sensitive head then be careful please. (You can put padding in the front of the wig and or use combs inside of it to relieve pressure. OR JUST HAVE PEOPLE CARRY YOUR WEAVE)
I HOPE THIS ALL HELPS.
As I said before.
- PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS TUTORIAL, MY WIG, OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU MAY BE WONDERING. I love helping people out and I am more than happy to talk to you! <3
- twinarmageddoll likes this
- gremlin-in-training likes this
- temporallyconfused likes this
- camsprite likes this
- indigonite likes this
- hahahaitscrispix likes this
- katorobin11-cosplays-otherjunk likes this
- honoo-koneco likes this
- honoo-koneco reblogged this from homestuckcosplayaid
- her-imperious-waterbitch likes this
- kuraikage reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- kuraikage likes this
- kumo-e likes this
- suenoquimica likes this
- enderrr likes this
- nervousdreamer likes this
- generalyukanda likes this
- the-looming-saw-whet likes this
- strawberry-squidd likes this
- carcinogenetalia reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- carcinogenetalia likes this
- rocketstriker561 reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- don-hoongs-creativeplasticine likes this
- reasonpeason reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- reasonpeason likes this
- disappointedpistachios likes this
- madame-du-batty reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- all-hail-the-homestuck-blog reblogged this from homestuckcosplayaid
- g-l-1-t-e-r-u-n-1-p-0-r-n likes this
- mou-gyuu likes this
- idreamofcosplay reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- zeldastuckintime likes this
- jolanikati likes this
- kimeronica likes this
- chairisse likes this
- homestuckcosplayaid reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- landofsilenceandcreation reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts
- darkdreamsgirl likes this
- awwyeahkitsunes likes this
- kumiauto likes this
- paintedrapunzel likes this
- lilcalsplushrump likes this
- ihasnousername likes this
- lyonreitei likes this
- gracioushd likes this
- snowveon reblogged this from ineloquentformalities
- meow-wow-wubzy likes this
- gillyhoo likes this
- ineloquentformalities reblogged this from sweetartsandhellacrafts and added:
- homehairstyles101 likes this